Monday 29 April 2013

the downstairs workshop

These are a small part of A's tools. He building something in the garage and yesterday I took my camera downstairs for inspiration. He was busy working on his project. There were tools everywhere and a wonderful smell of cut wood, and in the background was Portuguese music (he loves listening to fado). If you are wondering what he is building then I will reveal it later.

All in good time.


He is quite the handyman. Do you remember the film Six Days Seven Nights (1998) with Harrison Ford and Anne Heche? There is a scene in it that makes me laugh every time. If you know the storyline they crash a small airplane on an island and this is what happens when Anne's character comes to her senses:

Robin: Whoa. What happened?
Quinn: It crumpled the landing gear when we hit.
Robin: Well, aren't you gonna fix it? I mean can't we, can't we reattach it somehow?
Quinn: Sure, we'll, like, glue it back on.
Robin: Aren't you one of those guys?
Quinn: What guys?
Robin: Those guy guys, you know, those guys with skills.
Quinn: SKILLS?
Robin: Yeah. You send them into the wilderness with a pocketknife and a Q-tip and they build you a shopping mall. You can't do that?

Sometimes I have thought about testing this theory; sending A into the wilderness with his pocketknife and a Q-tip to see if he could in fact build a shopping mall. Not that I have anything to do with a mall. There are plenty of other things I would like him to build.

If there is too much of wood and tools in this post for you then let me end it with spring blossoms. I was gardening like a mad woman last week and realised that I accidentally cut a branch that was alive. I saved it, put it in water, begged its forgiveness and kept in the kitchen window so I could talk to it. It's blooming now.

I hope your week is starting off well. Make it a productive one but don't forget to live a little!

photo credit:
Lisa Hjalt

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to try and take inspiration from your closing words to 'live a little' and try to get out and enjoy the lovely sunshine here in London today! Have a fab week, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these workshop photos. I hope you'll reveal the final result when it's done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband is a clever handyman too, always plenty to occupy him here renovating our old house!
    Love the photographs, have a wonderful week Lisa:)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my husband would love a workshop/shed... Funny thing is last week he said he felt like making something... um,,, a boat! I say, can't we start with something small like a side table or coffee table... um, no it's gotta be big - yeah, like that's gonna fit anywhere in the backyard?!! If there is a lathe in your workroom, my husband will move in and help! :) Enjoy your beautiful weather and gardening.. PS: there are cafes everywhere nearby here, so testing a newly opened one is de riguer every so often :)x

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.