Wednesday 11 July 2012

books & birthday


I found that first photo in my inbox this morning and my heart melted to the floor. That's Ollie, the incredibly cute Frenchie of my dear blog friend Christel of Captivated by Image. Yes, it's my birthday today. I didn't make any plans because A is at work, the children still have school and there is a school festival later today that parents are invited to. Until then I'm enjoying coffee and chocolate and receiving birthday greetings.

Today is about books and surprises. I told you I would share my Amazon package, as some of you are always looking for book ideas. Well, my stack above is now a little bigger.

Yesterday, when I was outside snapping that photo, the postman rang the bell yet again. (I'm keeping those guys busy these days.) A friend of mine had told me that there was a present on the way so I thought it was from her. To my surprise it was a present from another dear blog friend, Ada of Classiq. She gave me Scott Schuman's book The Sartorialist, which I didn't have but was on my wish list. It was such a wonderful addition to my coffee table books.

I love surprises like that. I also love books and blog friends!


Back to my book stack. Most of the links will take you to my 'Amazon picks' page if you like more information:

  • Paris: The Collected Traveler, which I told you about yesterday and I'm so much enjoying reading
  • Christian Dior's autobiography Dior by Dior  
  • Gelsey Kirkland's autobiography, Dancing on my Grave, which the former ballerina wrote with her ex husband Greg Lawrence. The book was edited by Jackie O and Greg Lawrence is the author who wrote Jackie as Editor, the book I told you about in this post 
  • Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace and Anna Karenina. I'm a big fan of classics 
  • and I also got the film One Day. If you haven't seen the film then I recommend reading the book first. It's such a beautiful story, heartbreaking too, and the book will give you all the wonderful details

In my stack I also included two books that I got earlier this summer:

  • Fashion (Oxford History of Art series) by Christopher Breward. I'm almost finished and I'm enjoying reading it but it's only 272 pages with plenty of photos so it's not a book that goes into much details
  • The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos by Michael Freeman. I cannot tell you much about that one as I'm still on the first chapters but it has received good reviews 

I'm not done!

When I was creating this post the postman rang again, the same guy who arrived yesterday. He wasn't annoyed but I think I was able to read in his eyes 'will you be expecting more of those?' when he handed me another package. It was from my friend (Cafe)Sigrun. Think pink. Think chocolate. It was Jessica's Raw Chocolate Recipes by Jessica Fenton. On the cover it says "natural power food for the chocoholic" ... oh lord, I'm drooling over here, be prepared for a new recipe soon!

Now I'm done.

Have a wonderful day!

photo credit:
1: Christel of Captivated by Image
2-3: LatteLisa

36 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to you ...
    and much time to read all these wonderful books!

    All the best!
    ♥ Franka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday once again! :)
    I can not believe how adorable Ollie looks in that photo! My heart has melted too.
    You simply had to have the first book before The Sartorialist II is released. I know you are an admirer of his work. Enjoy your books and have the most wonderful day, Lisa! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and thank you once again ;-)

      Delete
  3. Again, wishing you a happy birthday;) Wow that is a whole stack of very interesting books you've got! You'll need the whole Summer for reading that! And what a wonderful surprises, you lucky birthday girl. Enjoy the feeling and of course your books. I recently watched the trailer of One Day and would love to see it. Tell me your thoughts if you have!

    Have a fabulous day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, I'm so happy to have Ollie on my blog today ;-)

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday, Lisa!!! Wishing you a beautiful day full of happy surprises!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Lisa! Enjoy your day and all those lovely books. Books are such great gifts since you can pick them up at any time again and re-live what you love most about them.

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. totally agree ... thank you ;-)

      Delete
  6. innilega til hamingju með afmælið Lísa ég vona að þú eigir ánægjulegan dag þú ert að minnsta kosti með nóg lesaefni
    kveðja Adda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. takk Adda, já alveg nóg að lesa ;-)

      Delete
  7. happy birthday! I am so going to buy the photographer's eye book now :) (Iris)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Iris, I hope you like the book if you buy it ;-)

      Delete
  8. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
    Hope you are having a wonderful day and you are eating lots and lots of chocolate!!

    Best wishes,

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Lisa ... yes there was chocolate, lots of chocolate ;-)

      Delete
  9. Dear Lisa, once again, happy birthday! What beautiful presents! I think that books are some of the best presents and I can assure you that you will enjoy The Sartorialist a lot, it's a book for of beauty and inspirations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Caterina again ;-)

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday wishes from Australia. What a wonderful day it sounds like you had. Such great titles too... enjoy the time reading them all - we expect lots of information! :)x

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh, happy birthday. happy belated birthday.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wishing you a belated but heartfelt Happy Birthday and many hours of blissful reading:)
    Wendy xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Wendy Paula ;-)

      Delete
  13. Happy belated Birthday!

    Gosh, you're worst than me with books:) I also have a post prepared with the latest acquisitions... now I need the tme to read them all.

    What I haven't got is blogging friends who send me books as presents!! Must get some of those.
    Thank you for sharing your book list.

    I hope you had a wonderful day.
    Tina x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy, happy day (eve one day later), Lisa!! I'm glad you had a wonderful day. It is nice when people rembember you. Ollie is definitely amazing. Ada has been very sweet with the book as present.
    Thank you for sharing this nice post. Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday for yesterday Lisa! I'm sorry to have been absent to have missed this! I hope you had a wonderful day celebrating. All of your books sound absolutely wonderful, The Sartorialist especially! You have a fun little while ahead getting through your reading pile :) xx

    PS that pic of Ollie is just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday! That looks like a wonderful pile of books - funnily enough I've just started reading Dancing on My Grave! I hope you get some down time to get to work on that pile ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Courtney ;-)

      Delete
    2. oops I forgot, how interesting that you are reading Kirkland's book! I had to order that one used as it was out of print and I got a good copy

      Delete
  17. Happy Birthday Lisa how sweet is the doggie birthday wishes!! looks like a lovely day and lots of reading to be done :) and I am so envious of your new bike I so miss riding you will be smiling and riding I am sure.
    Carla x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Carla, my bicycle and are bonding very well ;-)

      Delete
  18. Wishing you a very Happy (Belated) Birthday, Lisa! + Love the books—enjoy!

    Warmly,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.