Wednesday 20 June 2012

notes à la mode 03


Yesterday I bought the July issue of German Vogue. It wasn't the cover that appealed to me, it was more about polishing my German, which seems to be resurfacing after the move to Luxembourg. When everyone had gone to bed I got comfortable with cherries in a bowl and browsed through my magazine, finding myself very inspired by the cultural section, photography and interviews, and an extra magazine about the AW12-13 collections that was included. There is an interview with fashion designer Tom Ford but I haven't started reading that one yet. On the whole I found myself uninspired by the editorials, the styling did nothing for me, even though I liked some of the photos.

Not for the first time I began thinking about all these fashion magazines published monthly and the waste. I don't want to judge too harshly as I don't read all these magazines; obviously there are people out there who are inspired and willing to subscribe to them, otherwise they wouldn't be published. When viewing websites that share some of these editorials it happens more and more that I don't find anything that interests me. Maybe there is one or two photos that look nice but, honestly, most of the time I find myself rolling my eyes and moving on. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

That said, I'm keeping it simple in my third NOTES À LA MODE. I love this black & white and cheerful photo of Karlie Kloss, taken by Steven Meisel for the July issue of W Magazine, styled by Edward Enninful. This is enough to inspire me. I don't need to see models posing in a ridiculous way and I don't need crazy hair and make-up. I just like to view beautiful clothes. That's all.


I am inspired by Bruno Staub's photography for Numéro Homme China that I found through The Fashionisto (page 1, page 2). Kris Van Assche, the creative director of Dior Homme, Staub and stylist Mauricio Nardi created a military mood to present the AW12-13 collection.


I cannot say that I'm occupied with viewing all the Resort 2013 collections but the Nina Ricci fashion house has a special place in my heart and I was waiting to see what Peter Copping would present this year. I have no idea why but it seems like I have been aware of the Nina Ricci label since I was a little girl. I'm pretty sure no one in my family ever wore Nina Ricci so this must be because of something I saw in magazines when I was little and made an impression on me.

NOTES À LA MODE 03 LINKS

  Reading Vogue Germany led me to the wonderful spring/summer 2012 collection of Rena Lange, designed by Karsten Fielitz. This is a fashion house I'll be paying more attention to in the future 
  Speaking of spring/summer 2012 collections. I have kept a link to a video with Chado Ralph Rucci's collection for far too long in my files. I loved this collection, I loved the music, and the reaction of the audience to certain pieces as they appeared on the runway and at the end of the show
  Rachel of Little Bits of Lovely shared this wonderful link to Miss Moss's post called Matisse & Me
  I like what Miranda Kerr is wearing in this photo

photo credit:
1: Steven Meisel for W Magazine, July 2012 via Fashion Gone Rogue
2: Bruno Staub for Numéro Homme China via The Fashionisto
3-6: Courtesy of Nina Ricci via Vogue US

6 comments:

  1. Love Nina Ricci line - so feminine and chic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I envy fashion photographers so bad, they seem to have such a creative time while shooting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you; I just want to see the clothes and how they work together- some ideas for mixing things up is always useful too. But crazy makeup and weird full-on hair and poses just freaks me out -less is more people! Currently its about colour combinations and shapes and cuts - everything else just pales in significance. As for the actual hardcopy magazines - I need to be a subscriber - very old fashioned I know - but I've kept every copy of HarpersBazaarUS for the last 20 years or so. ( I know, a hoarder!... or just very organised).?? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just checked out the Matisse and Me post and it totally made my day! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to find beautiful photography, clothes and styling in fashion magazines (apart from good writing). But it's become more of an exception lately. Not only do they lack creativity and we are often shown the same clothes from the same designers in every edition of Vogue or Elle, but the exagerated airbrushing of the photos bothers me greatly, which is why I've decided to publish a different kind of photography on my blog. Love that photo of Karlie. There's always an exuberance in her attitude that's addictive.
    I buy German Vogue for the same reason as you do. :) Seeing a collection in a video makes such a huge difference and one should really watch it like this, with the music playing, because after all, they are all elements of the show. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. My last Vogue magazine was bought when I was in Vienna, long, long time ago, but I did not understand a thing there, I followed a one month course of German, but it was not for me. But the next Vogue will be in Madrid and my Spanish is pretty good, so I will enjoy it, I hope. I don't have patience when it comes to reading articles, I was the girl that was watching the pictures of the magazine and that was all, all my other girlfriend were almost eating a magazine! But I have to agree I would like to find something different in magazines...not the editorials that I can see on the internet...Nina Ricci is amazing ;), Lisa!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.